April 21, 2015
HARRISON TOWNSHIP TRUSTEE MEETING
April 21, 2015
REGULAR MEETING CALL TO ORDER:
Chairman Keith Peters called the Trustee Regular Meeting of April 21, 2015 to order at 7:00pm at the Harrison Township Building, 2746 Weigand Road, Lockbourne, Ohio. Attending were Trustee Keith Peters, Trustee Doug Clark, Fiscal Officer MaryAnn Elliott, Fire Chief Eric Edgington, Zoning Inspector Joe DeFelice and Road/Cemetery Superintendent Kevin Hulse. Resident Dave Smith was also present. Trustee Paul Welsh was absent.
HEARING OF VISITORS:
- Dave Smith was present to inquire about the zoning violation against the Martins. Joe DeFelice explained that it has been turned over to the Prosecutor’s office and Jayme Fountain is working on a resolution with an attorney the Martins have hired.
- Mr. Smith also reported that the water in the drainage ditch on Bulen Pierce Road is not draining because the drainage pipe is blocked with straw. The Trustees asked Kevin to check on this pipe this week.
- The zoning commission has recommended that the Trustees enforce ORC 505.86 regarding abandoned buildings for the property at 12575 US 23. Mr. Clark said another unsafe, abandoned property is 14140 Ashville Pike. The Trustees asked the clerk to write a letter to the property owners asking them to restore or remove the buildings on these properties. The Fire Chief stated that the structures need to be declared insecure, unsafe or structurally defective by the fire department and declared unfit for human habitation by the board of health.
- Verizon Wireless sent a letter stating they were going to build the cell tower at Lockbourne Eastern and Duvall Road. Mr. Clark objected to the letter and the clerk sent a certified letter to Verizon informing them that they would need to follow our zoning resolution.
- Dale Hoover came to repair the furnace at the township building again. He recommended that the furnace be replaced as it is twenty years old. The estimate for a new furnace is $1700.00. The Trustees agreed to this purchase.
A RESOLUTION TO APPROVE THE PURCHASE OF A NEW FURNACE FOR THE TOWNSHIP BUILDING FOR $1700.00 FROM THE GENERAL FUND 1000-760-740-0000. Mr. Peters moved and Mr. Clark seconded and the Trustees voted with two yes votes to approve R15-29.
- Kevin asked what is going to be done to fix Hoover Road at SR 752. Mr. Peters will call Jason Harral and ask if they’ve ever been out to look at that road. They were going to draw up plans for that repair.
- The International Snow Plow was serviced last week but it needs to have new brakes.
- Kevin asked to buy a new weed-eater for $176.00. The Trustees approved this purchase from Roads 2031-760-740-0000.
- Gloyd’s Home Improvement submitted a bid to repair the podium at the cemetery for $2885.00. The Trustees discussed this and decided not to repair the podium since it is only used for about twenty minutes a year on Memorial Day. Kevin will check on the cost of having the steps repaired.
- The commander of the VFW contacted us and said the Trustees would need to get someone to speak for the Memorial Day service. Mr. Clark will contact Mr. Partee.
- Mr. Clark will contact the phone company and gas company and see who was working last at the southwest corner of Lockbourne Eastern Road and Duvall Road and if they broke a tile. The ditches are not draining.
FIRE CHIEF’S REPORT:
- The Chief presented the attached Chief’s report.
- A Light Duty Work Policy for a firefighter who is not able to work as a firefighter/medic, but is able to work light duty at the station was discussed. Mr. Clark moved and Mr. Peters seconded to adopt the attached Light Duty Work Policy.
- The architect submitted an estimate for the remodeling work to be done at the firehouse, but it is way over the projected amount. The Chief addressed the safety and code issues which must be corrected. The Fiscal Officer handed out actual revenue and expense totals for the fire fund for the last four years. The Trustees will review this information and discuss the amount they are allotting for the firehouse remodel at the next meeting and what parts of the plan must be changed or deleted.
- ODOT has a contractor working on the drainage problem at Buck Spangler’s property.
- An annual salary increase for the Cemetery/Roads Superintendent.
A RESOLUTION TO INCREASE THE SALARY FOR KEVIN HULSE BY 3% AND TO INCREASE HIS PAYROLL INSURANCE DEDUCTION TO 10% OF THE EMPLOYEE COST AND 25% OF THE DEPENDENT’S COST. THIS CHANGE IN PAY WILL BE EFFECTIVE MAY 31, 2015. Mr. Clark moved and Mr. Peters seconded and the Trustees voted with two yes votes to approve R15-30.
ACTION ON MINUTES:
April 7, 2015 Regular meeting: Mr. Clark moved and Mr. Peters seconded a motion to approve the minutes of the regular meeting of April 7, 2015 and the Trustees voted with two yes votes. Motion carried.
FISCAL OFFICER’S REPORT:
A RESOLUTION TO CLOSE THE GENERAL CHECKING ACCOUNT AT VINTON COUNTY NATIONAL BANK FOR $146,606.82 PLUS APRIL INTEREST AND DEPOSIT TO THE PRIMARY CHECKING ACCOUNT AT THE SAVINGS BANK. Mr. Clark moved and Mr. Peters seconded and the Trustees voted with two yes votes to approve R15-31.
A RESOLUTION TO APPROVE AND PAY THE ATTACHED LIST OF BILLS AS THE LAWFUL OBLIGATIONS OF HARRISON TOWNSHIP. Mr. Peters moved and Mr. Clark seconded and the Trustees voted with two yes votes to approve R15-32.
With no further comments and all scheduled matters attended to, Mr. Peters moved and Mr. Welsh seconded the motion to adjourn the April 7, 2015 Board of Trustee Meeting. All were in favor and the meeting was adjourned at 8:35pm.