May 6, 2014
HARRISON TOWNSHIP TRUSTEES MEETING
May 6, 2014
REGULAR MEETING CALL TO ORDER:
Chairman Paul Welsh called the Regular Trustee Meeting of May 6, 2014 to order at 7:00pm at the Harrison Township Fire Department, 3625 SR 752, Ashville, Ohio. Attending were Trustee Keith Peters, Trustee Doug Clark, Fiscal Officer MaryAnn Elliott, Fire Chief Eric Edgington, Zoning Inspector Joe DeFelice and Road/Cemetery Superintendent Kevin Hulse. Fire Lieutenant Shawn Davidson was also in attendance.
HEARING OF VISITORS: None
- The Appeals Board has asked the Trustees to consider an amendment to the Township Zoning Resolution regarding the construction of ponds or storage of sewage and waste.
- We received a letter of appeal from Paul Pence regarding his zoning violation of April 15, 2014. The clerk will notify the Chair of the Zoning Appeals Board.
- The Prosecutor’s office gave Danny and Teresa Bailey until April 24 to clean the trash from their property. Danny contacted Joe on April 21 and he went to the property. There is still a lot of trash to clean up. He also has erected a shed without a zoning or building permit and Joe issued another zoning violation for that. Joe also notified the Prosecutor’s office that the property has not been cleaned up.
- Nothing further has been done on the Burdak property.
- Duke has submitted their zoning application.
- There have been many compliments as to how well Kevin and Chad did with snow removal this year.
- Kevin looked at the ditch in front of Gary Harris’ property and it is a 12” clay pipe and water is running through it. Will, from Sam’s Excavating, is going to look at it and present an estimate.
- Kevin said there are several cracks in the deck of the Weigand Road overpass. Mr. Peters said that belongs to the county and he will call Anthony Neff at the County to verify that.
- Kevin needs more asphalt screenings. The Trustees approved the purchase of twenty ton from Digger McCray for $200.00.
- Kevin has bermed all the roads. Mr. Peters said they look good.
- Kevin will get prices from RSC for new tractor tires.
FIRE CHIEF’S REPORT:
- Muhlenberg will amend their Fire Contract to add the field at Pherson Pike and London Road to be covered by Harrison Township Fire Department to solve a dispatching issue.
- Disabilty Insurance for the Firefighters: The Chief is proposing we purchase the plan attached.
A RESOLUTION TO ADD DISABILITY INSURANCE FOR THE FIREFIGHTERS THROUGH OHIO INSURANCE FOR APPROXIMATELY $2500.00 ANNUALLY. Mr. Clark moved and Mr. Peters seconded and the Trustees voted with three yes votes to approve R14-30.
- The old Medic 801 (2002) has not been used for several months. After researching the value of it, (approximately $2500.00) the Chief recommended donating it to Box 65, the volunteer group that supports the firefighters when they have a structure fire.
A RESOLUTION TO DONATE THE 2002 MEDIC TO BOX 65. Mr. Peters moved and Mr. Clark seconded and the Trustees voted with three yes votes to approve R14-31.
The new fire gear has used up most of the budgeted money for Machinery, Equipment and Furnishings and there will be other things needed before the end of the year, so the Chief asked for $10,000.00 to be appropriated for Machinery, Equipment and Furnishings.
A RESOLUTION FOR SUPPLEMENTAL APPROPRIATIONS OF $10,000.00 FROM THE FIRE FUND TO MACHINERY, EQUIPMENT AND FURNISHINGS 2111-760-740-0000 AND A BLANKET CERTIFICATE FOR THE SAME. Mr. Clark moved and Mr. Peters seconded and the Trustees voted with three yes votes to approve R14-32.
- Mr. Peters received a call from Giuseppe Vercellotti, a professor of Anthropology at Ohio State. He is seeking permission to excavate the Cholera Cemetery for research regarding cholera. If the Trustees give them permission, they will supply a detailed excavation plan. No decision was made on this matter.
- We have only received five (of twelve) signed easements from the residents on Lockbourne Eastern Road.
A RESOLUTION TO INCREASE KEVIN’S PAY BY 2% EFFECTIVE JUNE 1, 2014. Mr. Clark moved and Mr. Peters seconded and the Trustees voted with three yes votes to approve R14-33.
- Mr. Peters discussed the five areas of the township that need asphalt repairs. Roese Bros. Paving prepared estimates for Bulen Pierce Road, Shepherd Road, Picway Road, Miller Road and Ashville Pike at the intermodal intersection. The Trustees discussed the different projects and decided to do the Bulen Pierce Road project at this time.
A RESOLUTION TO APPROVE THE ASPHALT REPAIRS ON BULEN PIERCE ROAD BY ROESE BROS PAVING AS DESCRIBED IN THE ATTACHED PROPOSAL FOR $20,635.00 FROM GASOLINE TAX CONTRACTED SERVICES 2021-330-360-0000. Mr. Peters moved and Mr. Clark seconded and the Trustees voted with three yes votes to approve R14-34.
ACTION ON MINUTES:
March 18, 2014 Regular meeting: Mr. Peters moved and Mr. Welsh seconded a motion to approve the minutes of the regular meeting of March 18, 2014 and the Trustees voted with two yes votes. Motion carried.
April 1, 2014 Regular meeting: Mr. Clark moved and Mr. Welsh seconded a motion to approve the minutes of the regular meeting of April 1, 2014 and the Trustees voted with two yes votes. Motion carried.
FISCAL OFFICER’S REPORT:
A RESOLUTION TO STAY WITH CAREWORKS AS OUR MANAGED CARE ORGANIZATION FOR WORKERS’ COMP. Mr. Clark moved and Mr. Welsh seconded and the Trustees voted with three yes votes to approve R14-35.
A RESOLUTION TO APPROVE AND PAY THE ATTACHED LIST OF BILLS AS THE LAWFUL OBLIGATIONS OF HARRISON TOWNSHIP. Mr. Clark moved and Mr. Peters seconded and the Trustees voted with three yes votes to approve R14-36.
With no further comments and all scheduled matters attended to, Mr. Clark moved and Mr. Peters seconded the motion to adjourn the May 6, 2014 Board of Trustee Meeting. All were in favor and the meeting was adjourned at 8:20pm.